In view of the present situation, in which Sweden and Finland are being encouraged to join the Yankee-led imperialist military alliance NATO, and are being threatened with nuclear war by Russian imperialism in response, we share the following unofficial translation of an important statement by the Communist League of Sweden against the imperialist superpowers and their warmongering and in support of the people of Ukraine.
We find that this statement has two shortcomings, which we would like to point out. In our opinion, the statement falls short on the following points:
1. The statement does not fully grasp the character of the main contradiction in Ukraine, which is (Ukrainian nation ↔ Russian imperialism), due to the ongoing war of aggression against Ukraine‘s national sovereignty and Russia‘s attempt to transform it into a colony. The U.S.-backed rulers of Ukraine, headed by Volodomir Zelensky, have materially been forced to side temporarily with the people of Ukraine, because what is in their interest is not becoming a Russian colony, but retaining their status as a semi-colony, mainly of U.S. imperialism. That Zelensky and his Government are materially on the side of the Ukrainian people in the present situation is expressed, for example, in the policy of general armament of the people, which will allow for the development of a revolutionary war of national liberation against Russia, with the potential of transforming into a people‘s war if the Ukrainian workers manage to refound the Communist Party of Ukraine in the course of the struggle. Therefore, all support for the Ukrainian people and its war of resistance is necessary, including temporary support for Zelensky‘s government. Of course, it must be understood that Zelensky, much like the Guomindang during the Japanese invasion of China, constantly vacillates and that the possibility of capitulation to the enemy on the part of the Ukrainian bourgeoisie is a constant threat. The Ukrainian bourgeoisie will also inevitably become an enemy of the Ukrainian people again once the war of resistance has ended or if Ukraine becomes the site of an inter-imperialist war.
2. The statement also does not fully grasp the character of the Swedish Government as an imperialist belligerent power, which is preparing to participate in the coming imperialist 3rd World War on the side of U.S. imperialism. This is proved by the recent decision of Andersson‘s Government to deliver weapons to Ukraine as well as the secret negotiations about joining NATO. Whether Swedish imperialism remains «neutral» or joins NATO, it will nonetheless be profiting off the war, objectively selling out the Swedish working class and people, as Lenin pointed out in his important article «Defense of Neutrality» (January 1917). In «neutral» countries as well as openly belligerent ones, the task is still to «transform the imperialist war into revolutionary civil war». Therefore, the Swedish communists must immediately take the lead in clandestinely reorganizing all the work of the Communist League, expelling the opportunist elements from their midst (those elements who either oppose the necessity of revolutionary armed struggle in Sweden or who advocate simply transferring a stereotype of the people‘s war in semi-feudal countries to capitalist countries, representing the «Left»-liquidationist line of secret cells of foreign organizations, which, Bakunin-like, have infiltrated the Communist League in an attempt to control it — see the recent article published on The Red Flag, «The October Road Is the Only Path of the Socialist Revolution in the Imperialist Countries»), arming themselves in preparation for the coming armed struggle, and refounding the Communist Party of Sweden to direct that armed struggle. This task must be carried out immediately with the purpose of initiating the armed struggle, which will serve politically and militarily to prepare insurrections, revolutionary class war and the seizure of political power in all of Sweden by the revolutionary workers, and the establishment of a Socialist Council Government. There is no other way out of imperialist war for the Swedish proletariat and people, and the Left in Sweden should strive for this goal, and only this goal, so as to set an example for the international working class, in the same way in which the Left in Switzerland is doing so.
Without grasping these two fundamental points about the present international situation and the present domestic situation in Sweden it will not be possible for the Communist League of Sweden to fulfill its tasks as the only organization presently preparing the refounding of the Communist Party of Sweden, serving the socialist revolution in that country and the proletarian world revolution generally.
The statement of the Communist League of Sweden is a great step in the right direction — but the Swedish communists must go further. They must concretely apply that revolutionary slogan which has been the main anti-imperialist slogan of the international communist movement ever since the Zimmerwald Conference of 1915, which condemned the Social-Democratic Parties for their hypocritical participation in the 1st World War. This slogan is:
CLASS AGAINST CLASS! WAR AGAINST WAR!
THE RED FLAG
Proletarians of all countries, unite!
FIGHT ALL IMPERIALIST AGGRESSION — BOTH FROM THE USA/NATO AND RUSSIA! FIGHT THE WARMONGERS!
Communist League of Sweden
|Translated and Reproduced by|
The Red Flag
FIGHT ALL IMPERIALIST AGGRESSION — BOTH FROM THE USA/NATO AND RUSSIA! FIGHT THE WARMONGERS!
The Editorial Board of The Communist calls on everyone: Demonstrate against all imperialist aggression!
1. With the war between Russia and Ukraine, we find ourselves in a situation where the crisis of the imperialist world system is exposed. Contrary to the ruling powers‘ talk of a «global world order», what the Communist League has always said has now become reality: imperialism leads to war. Russia has aggressively attacked Ukraine for imperialist reasons. The situation is rooted in the unrestrained expansion of the USA and NATO in Eastern Europe. An unjust war has broken out in Europe. There is a risk that U.S./NATO troops and Russia will soon clash in military confrontations. Now is the time to build a new peace movement.
2. At dawn on the 24th of February, the imperialist war against Ukraine began. Russian missiles were fired at the Ukrainian air force and anti-aircraft defences in and around major cities such as Kiev, Kharkov or Mariupol, and ground forces began to advance. The Russian army crossed the Ukrainian border. Hundreds of thousands of troops had already gathered in advance on the Ukrainian border. The Communist League condemns the aggressive actions of imperialist Russia under Vladimir Putin.
3. As the world‘s foremost warmonger and provocateur, the U.S. and NATO helped create this situation. A war was provoked by NATO‘s Eastward expansion to Russia‘s borders, by the encirclement of Russia with over 700 military bases and the ongoing troop movements to Eastern Europe, and by massive psychological war propaganda. NATO‘s defence plans for Eastern Europe were activated and 45,000 of NATO‘s rapid reaction forces were put on standby.
4. Eastern European NATO members Poland, Romania, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are calling for the activation of Article 4 of NATO, the immediate predecessor to Article 5: the armed attack against a member country requires active military support from the rest of NATO. The NATO countries and the head of NATO, Jens Stoltenberg, declared today that they are ready for this. This is a threat that increases the risk of war, it is the opposite of a policy of de-escalation. There are currently no decisions on immediate NATO intervention. However, if this were to happen, it would mean that a large proportion of the imperialist countries with their troops around Russia and Ukraine would be drawn into the war, and therein lies the danger of a 3rd World War.
5. Imperialism means striving for world domination. Claims that the E.U./NATO is «defending democratic values» or that Russia is «demilitarising and denazifying Ukraine» are demagogic hypocrisy. The U.S. wants to defend its role as a superpower tooth and nail. Rising imperialist countries like Russia are acting particularly aggressively to challenge the U.S. position. The E.U., led by Germany, also aspires to global leadership. At the same time, many capitalist monopolies are urging those involved not to jeopardise existing business relationships.
6. The Communist League condemns the policy of the Swedish Government, which actively participates in NATO‘s warmongering. It presents itself as a hypocritical supporter of peace and stability. It talks in its beard about arms exports to Ukraine. It talks about preserving order in Europe, which we call imperialist pacifism: pacifism in words, imperialism in deeds.
7. It is already obvious: warmongers in all countries will try to shift the costs of their global economic and financial crisis and war costs onto the working class. The real losers of the war that has just begun are the Ukrainian and Russian working peoples — not the corrupt power elites in their respective countries.
Rapidly rising inflation and an explosion in energy prices are creating poverty and social misery. Inflation is already squeezing the wages of working families. Actively resist attempts to shift the burden of the crisis onto the masses, fight for wage increases in companies and unions to compensate for inflation!
8. The peace movement is divided and in crisis. Many fall into the trap of supporting one imperialist bloc against another. Now is the time to create a new peace movement that is consistently internationalist and has its sights set on all imperialists.
9. In order to end imperialist wars once and for all, the agenda is to win over the working class and the broad masses in the struggle for the united socialist states of the world. That is why the Communist League also firmly rejects the anti-communism used by all warring parties. The Communist League stands resolutely on the side of the Ukrainian and Russian masses, the vast majority of whom are opposed to the warmongering of their Governments.
10. The Communist League calls on the working class and youth, the women‘s movement and all peace-loving people to actively resist the acute threat to world peace! We welcome all initiatives by workers to engage in political activities and strikes against this war. We call for an uprising against all warmongers! International class unity and solidarity must be built against nationalism, anti-communism and militarism.